Holbrook Exotic Hardwoods, LLC recommends that you care maintain your new Hermoso Engineered Floor with Bona Hardwood Cleaner products. Be certain to follow all of the instructions of the manufacturer.
Additional maintenance procedures include:
- At all entryways provide outside mats to keep dirt and grit off the floor. Inside, you may wish to consider using an area rug to further prevent the inside tracking of dirt. Sand and grit will scratch and wear any finish!
- Sweep or vacuum as often as necessary to remove any loose dirt or grit before it can scratch the floor.
- When moving any appliances, heavy furniture, or other heavy objects, slip a blanket or scrap of carpet, face down, under each foot of the object and then carefully slide the object over the floor. This will help avoid scratching and gouging.
- Use floor protectors on the legs of all furniture to prevent gouging and scratching.
- Certain types of casters on furniture legs may damage hardwood flooring. The wide barrel type of caster works best. If your furniture does not have the correct type of caster, we recommend changing them.
- Wipe up spills as soon as possible as water from spills can cause damage to any wood floor.
- To avoid excessive shrinkage, cracking, swelling or cupping, you should keep the relative humidity ideally between the normal interior range of 45% and 55%, but always between 35% and 65%. This can be accomplished through the use of a dehumidifier /humidifier and/or air conditioning.
- In areas of excessive traffic and wear, please make use of runners or area rugs.
- If wear starts to develop in the finish in high traffic locations, these areas should be periodically refinished. Re-coating prior to total wear through of the finish will reduce the need for a complete re-sanding and refinishing. Contact your flooring professional for their expert advice on how to refinish worn areas.
- As the wood in your new floor ages, it will change in color as it gains its final character and patina. Certain species of wood, such as cherry, change color more than others. You should periodically move area carpets and furniture, especially in areas of direct sunlight, in order to allow the floor to age and change color more uniformly.
- Make sure your pet’s nails are trimmed. They can scratch your floor.
- Do not allow water to stand on your floor at any time. Water will cause cupping, swelling and subsequent gapping. Also, when mopping your floor or cleaning up spills, do not over-wet your floor, as it will damage the wood. Only use a slightly damp mop or rag/sponge when cleaning. For best results, again, use Bona Hardwood Cleaner products.
- Do not allow “spike heel” type shoes to indent wood floors.
- Do not use ammonia, pine soap, oil soap, chlorine bleach or any abrasive cleaners that might scratch or react with the floor finish.
- Do not wax your floor. On our factory pre-finished floors, finished with U.V. Acrylic, we do not recommend the use of any waxes, as these may make the floor slippery and dull the finish.